Bei Zeng (Chinese: 曾蓓) is a Chinese quantum information theorist at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, where she is a professor of physics, and director of the IAS Center for Quantum Technologies. As well as quantum information, her research interests include quantum computing and quantum error correction.
Zeng is a 2002 graduate of Tsinghua University, where she studied physics and mathematics. After earning a master’s degree at Tsinghua University in 2004, she completed a Ph.D. in physics in 2009 at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Her dissertation, Quantum operations and codes beyond the Stabilizer-Clifford framework, was supervised by Isaac Chuang.
She became a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Waterloo, affiliated both with the Institute for Quantum Computing and the Department of Combinatorics & Optimization, before becoming an assistant professor at the University of Guelph in 2010, rising through the academic ranks there to become full professor in 2018. She moved to her present position at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2019. She continues to maintain an adjunct faculty affiliation with the University of Waterloo Department of Physics and Astronomy.
Zeng is a coauthor of the book Quantum Information Meets Quantum Matter: From Quantum Entanglement to Topological Phases of Many-Body Systems (with Xie Chen, Duan-Lu Zhou, and Xiao-Gang Wen, Springer, 2019).
In 2021, Zeng was named a Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS), after a nomination from the APS Division of Quantum Information, “for pioneering work and contributions in quantum information science (QIS), including error correction and fault-tolerance, many-body entanglement, quantum tomography, quantum marginals, and QIS applications in quantum matter, and for her long-term contribution to QIS services and education”.
- “ZENG Bei”, People, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Department of Physics, retrieved 2021-11-23
- “Bei ZENG”, Faculty profiles, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, retrieved 2021-11-23
- Zeng, Bei (2009), Quantum operations and codes beyond the Stabilizer-Clifford framework (Ph.D. thesis), hdl:1721.1/53235
- “Bei Zeng”, Our people, University of Waterloo Physics and Astronomy, retrieved 2021-11-23
- Review of Quantum Information Meets Quantum Matter: Eugene Kryachko, Zbl 1423.81010
- “Fellows nominated in 2021 by the Division of Quantum Information”, APS Fellows archive, American Physical Society, retrieved 2021-11-23