Radoviš (Радовиш in Macedonian) is a small city in Eastern North Macedonia. The city contains 16,223 people with an absolute Macedonian majority. The population of the whole municipality (including the villages) is approx. 28,000 people. It is famous for the tourists because of the new Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, which is one of the biggest and most beautiful in North Macedonia.
The city of Radoviš was mentioned for the first time in 1019 during the reign of the Byzantine King Basil II (which was the name of the city during the Middle Ages. At this time in history, Radoviš is an important center for regional trade, craftsmanship and mining. At that time, the town was located in the North-West of the town’s present location, on the banks of the Old river, where we can find traces of several churches, for example St. Archangel church.
In the 14th century, after the destruction of the Byzantine Empire, Radoviš found itself in the Serb medieval state. In 1361, the tsar Uroš sojourned in Radoviš. During the Ottoman Empire, in the 17th Century under the Kyustendil sanjak, it belonged to the diocese of the Kustendil metropolitan. At that time, the town had 3,000–4,000 inhabitants.
The nearby village of Dedino, within the historical region of Lakavičko, is known for its role in the Ilinden Uprising of 1903. It was home to a bomb-making workshop and was the site of the murder of two Ottoman tax collectors, which resulted in the besieging of the village by Ottoman forces.
There is no train station in the city. The closest train station is in the city Štip, 36 km from Radoviš.
There are buses from the capital Skopje every 1 hour, passing through Veles and Štip, starting from the morning, and the last bus is in 19.00 (7PM). The trip takes 2.5 hours (121 km) and costs approx. 300 denars (~ 5 euro). There is one bus departing from Bitola at 14:00 (2PM) and passing through Prilep, Kavadarci, Negotino and arrives in Radoviš at 17:00. The trip takes 3 hours and costs ~300 denars. Also, there are 2 buses from the nearby city Strumica. The ticket costs ~100 denars, and it is a 30 minutes trip.
The road is new and modern, it is easy to travel and arrive in the city, you can reach Radoviš from south Strumica, or from the north, Štip. The main road M6 Štip – Strumica is tangentially placed on the township of Radoviš. This road is a main communication route with other parts of the country.
The Radoviš area is full of things to see. Aside from hiking the nearby mountain Plačkovica, visitors shouldn’t leave without visiting the famous orthodox church Holy Trinity (Sveta Trojca).
- Holy Trinity Orthodox church (Sveta Trojca/Света Тројца in Macedonian) – The building of the church was financed by the Macedonian businessman Risto Gusterov. The church has been built in the past seven years. It covers an area of about 5,000 square meters. The interior and the exterior of the church were designed by the Ukrainian painter Anatolij Gajdanaka and they are based on the Macedonian orthodox church traditions.
- St. Ilija (Sveti Ilija/Свети Илија in Macedonian) – The old orthodox church
- St.King Konstantin and Queen Elena(Sveti Car Konstantin i Carica Elena/Цар Константин и Царица Елена in Macedonian) from the 18th century
- St. Archangel monastery (Sveti Arahangel manastir/Свети Арахангел манастир in Macedonian)
- 1 Konče Monastery (Конечки манастир), village of Konče. One of the most significant churches of this region lies within Konče Monastery, within the village of the same name. The Church of St Stefan was built from 1366 to 1371; its frescoes were also originally completed in 1371 though not much remains of the originals. The second painting of frescoes date from the 18th and 19th centuries. Built during the reign of Serbian Emperor Dušan, it is in the Byzantine style with a prominent dome and a covered porch. The church and the grounds are well-maintained with living quarters, a fountain, and a bell tower. (updated Apr 2019)